Total Fina Elf S.A. History
La Défense 6
92078 Paris La Défense Cedex
Telephone: 33 (1) 47 44 45 46
Incorporated: 1924 as Compagnie Française des Pétroles
Employees: 122,025 (2001)
Sales: EUR105.3 billion (US$105.76 billion) (2001)
Stock Exchanges: Euronext London New York
Ticker Symbols: FR0000120271 (Euronext), TOF (London), TOT (New York)
NAIC: 212111 Bituminous Coal and Lignite Surface Mining; 211112 Natural Gas Liquid Extraction; 211111 Crude Petroleum and Natural Gas Extraction; 213111 Drilling Oil and Gas Wells; 541360 Geophysical Surveying and Mapping Services; 213112 Support Activities for Oil and Gas Operations; 324110 Petroleum Refineries; 212113 Anthracite Mining; 447110 Gasoline Stations with convenience Store; 447190 Other Gasoline Stations; 324210 Asphalt Paving Mixture and Block Manufacturing; 324191 Petroleum Lubricating Oil and Grease Manufacturing; 324199 All Other Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturing; 326220 Rubber and Plastics Hoses and Belting Manufacturing; 339991 Gasket, Packing and Sealing Device Manufacturing; 326192 All Other Rubber Product Manufacturing; 325510 Paint and Coating Manufacturing; 325520 Adhesive Manufacturing; 325199 All Other Basic Organic Chemical Manufacturing; 325998 All Other Miscellaneous Chemical Products and Preparation Manufacturing; 325910 Printing Ink Manufacturing; 325411 Medicinal and Botanical Manufacturing; 325412 Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing.
As a global energy group of European origin, our ambition is to meet society's energy needs by offering an ever broader range of products and services. We carry out that mission with commitment, professionalism, service and loyalty--all values to which we are deeply attached. Finding, manufacturing and distributing reliable quality products is the goal we seek to achieve, drawing on innovation and state-of-the-art technologies to do so. We conduct our oil and gas and chemicals activities in an ongoing spirit of transparency, outreach, partnership and solidarity, in order to meet society's expectations and rise to the crucial challenges of ensuring the safety of people and property, preserving natural resources and protecting the environment.
- Petrofina (Compagnie Financiére Belge des Pétroles) is founded by investors from Antwerp.
- Total is founded as Compagnie Française des Pétroles (CFP).
- New refining subsidiary, Française de Raffinage, is established jointly with French state.
- Gas field discovery in France leads to founding of Régie Autonome de Pétroles (RAP).
- Société Nationale des Pétroles d'Aquitaine (SNPA) is established.
- Bureau de Recherches de Pétrole (BRP) is established.
1954/55:Trademark "Total" is created and registered.
- TOGB, with Petrofina, constructs and operates a new refinery near Killingholme.
- Elf logo and name chosen as the brand name for ERAP and Société Nationale des Pétroles d'Aquitaine (SNPA).
- Acquires Vickers Petroleum.
- CFP becomes Total-Compagnie Française des Pétroles (Total-CFP).
- Company's name becomes Total.
- Thierry Desmarest is made CEO of Total. Total is the first foreign oil company to produce in Iran since 1979.
- Total acquires Belgium's Petrofina for $12 billion and becomes Total Fina.
- Total Fina merges with Elf Aquitaine and becomes Total Fina Elf.
- Total Fina Elf merges with Spain's Cepsa to expand Spanish market. The company partners with Kazakhstan's state Kazakoil for exploration in the Caspian Sea.
- Total Fina Elf invests in Russina Vankorskoye project in East Siberia with Anglo Siberian Oil Company. Deepwater oil find in the Campos Basin off the shore of Brazil.
- Avati, Helen, "Total Wants to Be the Best of the Rest," Petroleum Economist, January 1993, pp. 4+.
- Bahree, Bhushan, and Thomas Kamm, "Total Seeks More Pacts with Iran, Despite U.S.," Wall Street Journal, March 17, 1998, p. A13.
- Beckman, Jeremy, "Total Beginning Program of Global Expansion," Offshore, August 1993, pp. 126+.
- Catta, Emmanuel, Victor de Metz: de la CFP au Groupe Total, Paris: Total Edition Presse, 1990.
- Corzine, Robert, "Maverick Total Stays Relaxed Under Fire," Financial Times, February 12, 1997, p. 32.
- Dawkins, William, "Shaping Up for Competition," Financial Times, November 12, 1990.
- Fleming, Charles, and Bhushan Bahree, "France's Total Dismisses U. S.-Sanctions Threat," Wall Street Journal, September 30, 1997, pp. A18, A19.
- "French, Italian Investment in Iran Oil," United Press International, March 2, 1999.
- George, Dev, "Total Focuses on Offshore and Gas," Offshore, August 1994, pp. 80+.
- Giraud, André, and Xavier Boy de la Tour, Géopolitique du Pétrole et du Gaz, Paris: Editions Technip, 1987, 418 p.
- Grayson, Leslie E., National Oil Companies, New York: John Wiley, 1981.
- Guillon, Eric, and Gérard Pruneau, Total Vôtre Groupe, Paris: Total CFP, 1988.
- "Merger à la Française," The Economist, September 18, 1999, p. 73.
- Michelson, Marcel, "Total, Petrofina an Another Mega Merger," Indian Express, December 2, 1998.
- Milmo, Sean, "Total Buys Petrofina in $13 Billion Deal," Chemical Market Reporter, December 7, 1998, p. 7
- Reed, Stanley, and Stan Crock, "Total Loves to Go Where Others Fear to Tread," Business Week, October 13, 1997, p. 52.
- Reier, Sharon, "State of Grace," Financial World, October 13, 1992, pp. 34-37.
- Rondot, Jean, La Compagnie Française des Pétroles--du Franc-Or au Petrole-Franc, Paris: Librairie Plon, 1962; reprinted, New York: Arno Press, 1977.
- "Sprint Start: France's Total," Economist, August 8, 1992, pp. 60-61.
- "Total Hits Oil Offhsore Brazil," The Oil Daily, June 18, 2002.
- "Total Profits Fall 36% in Q1, Helped by Lack of US Exposure," The Oil Daily, May 23, 2002.
- "Total Reports Weaker Results, Plays Down US Acquisition Talk," The Oil Daily, January 31, 2002.
- "Total Sees Profits Double," The Oil Daily, November 27, 2000.
- Toy, Stewart, "Total May Pull Off a Total Turnaround," Business Week, September 25, 1995, pp. 114F, 114H.
- "Trouble in the Pipeline," Economist, January 18, 1997, p. 39.
- Vielvoye, Roger, "Modern Management Style Brings New Look to Total," Oil and Gas Journal, February 25, 1991, pp. 15+.
Source: International Directory of Company Histories, Vol. 50. St. James Press, 2003.