Mizuho Financial Group Inc. History
6-1 Marunouchi, 1-chrome
Telephone: (3) 5224-1111
Fax: (3) 3215-4616
Incorporated: 1971 The Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank; 1923 The Fuji Bank; 1902 Industrial Bank of Japan
Total Assets: ¥140 trillion (US$1.2 trillion) (2002)
Stock Exchanges: Tokyo
Ticker Symbol: 8411
NAIC: 551111 Offices of Bank Holding Companies
Since the establishment of the Mizuho Financial Group, we have strived to create the group's new brand. Our Brand Statement, "Value Communication," helps express our brand vision not only to our customers, but also within our group. Value refers to the value that our customers seek, while communication refers to how the Mizuho Financial Group intends to communicate with customers to attain this desired value. "Value Communication" underlines our commitment to doing our utmost to understand our customers' aspirations and provide financial services of the highest quality in order to enhance our customers' satisfaction and ultimately share their joy. Put simply, we look forward to sharing in the dreams and happiness of our customers.
- The Nippon Kangyo Bank is established.
- Eiichi Shibusawa launches the Dai-Ichi Kokuritsu Ginko, or First National Bank.
- The Yasuda Bank becomes a limited partnership.
- The Industrial Bank of Japan (IBJ) is created by the Japanese government to supply long-term funding to stagnant industries.
- Yasuda is reorganized as Fuji Bank.
- The IBJ is privatized under the Long Term Credit Bank Law.
- Dai-Ichi merges with Nippon Kangyo to form Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank.
- The IBJ, Fuji Bank, and Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank merge to form Mizuho Holdings Inc.
- The company launches a major restructuring plan; operations are reorganized under Mizuho Financial Group Inc.
- Baker, Gerard, "Japan's Banks Get Tough on Debt," Financial Times (London), July 13, 1994, p. 32.
- Bremner, Brian, "Cleaning Up Japan's Bank--Finally," Business Week, December 17, 2001.
- ------, "Commentary: Japan: Still in Dreamland about the Bank Crisis," Business Week, June 2, 2003.
- ------, "Japan's Cracked Banking Colossus," Business Week, December 23, 2002.
- ------, "Will This Mr. Fix-It Really Fix Japan's Banks?," Business Week, October 14, 2002, p. 146.
- The Fuji Bank: A 100th Anniversary Commemorative, Tokyo: Fuji Bank, 1980.
- Fulford, Benjamin, "Godzilla Bank," Forbes, March 20, 2000, p. 132.
- "Japan Inc. Faces Radical Change," Banker, October 1999, p. 4.
- Johnsson, Julie, "Sun Setting on Fuji Bank in Chicago," Crain's Chicago Business, November 16, 1998, p. 1.
- Sato, Akira, "Debits May Outweigh Credits When Megamerger Comes About," Asahi Shimbun, September 24, 1999.
- "Undispensable; Mizuho Bank," Economist, April 27, 2002.
Source: International Directory of Company Histories, Vol. 58. St. James Press, 2004.