Novartis AG History
Telephone: (41) 61-324-1111
Fax: (41) 61-324-8001
Sales: CHFr 35.80 billion ($22.21 billion) (2000)
Stock Exchanges: Zurich New York
Ticker Symbols: NVS (NYSE); NOVN (SWX)
NAIC: 325412 Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing; 541710 Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences; 621511 Medical Laboratories; 541380 Testing Laboratories
We, at Novartis, are committed to improving health and well-being through innovative products and services. We aspire to capture and hold a leadership position in all of our businesses with a strong, sustainable performance based on continuous innovation. Our long-term success is founded on meeting the expectations of all our stakeholders--our customers, our people, our shareholders and the communities in which we live and work. This is who we are. Key Dates:
- Alexander Clavel founds silk dyeing works in Basel, Switzerland .
- Kern & Sandoz is formed.
- Geigy is founded in Grenzach, Germany.
- Sandoz Chemical Company Ltd. begins operations in England.
- Arthur Stoll creates Pharmaceutical Department at Sandoz.
- Ciba, Sandoz, and Geigy form Basel AG cartel.
- Basel AG joins IG Farben to form Dual Cartel.
- Geigy begins producing insecticides.
- Dr. Paul Mueller discovers insecticidal properties of DDT.
- Geigy launches anti-rheumatic drug Butazolidin.
- Basel AG is dissolved.
- Sandoz launches neuroleptic drug Melleril.
- Sandoz forms research center in East Hanover, New Jersey.
- Ciba and Geigy merge to form Ciba-Geigy Ltd.
- Ciba-Geigy Ltd. acquires Funk Seeds International.
- Ciba-Geigy Ltd. forms biotechnology unit.
- Ciba-Vision is formed.
- Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz merge to form Novartis AG
- Novartis divests seed and crop protection holdings.
- Buckley, Neil, 'More on Gene-Modified Food,' Financial Times (London), July 25, 1997.
- Capell, Kerry, with Heidi Dawley, 'Healing Novartis,' Business Week, November 8, 1999.
- Enri, Paul, The Basel Marriage: History of the Ciba-Geigy Merger, Zurich, Switzerland: Neue Zurcher Zeitung, 1979.
- Fisher, Lawrence M., 'Two Deals Extend the Financial Frontiers of Gene Therapy,' New York Times, January 14, 1997.
- Ford, Peter, 'Wary Europe Enters Biotech Age,' Christian Science Monitor, June 10, 1998.
- Gebhart, Fred, 'Skin Patch Makers Fight to Be No. 1 in War on Nicotine,' Drug Topics, January 20, 1992, p. 26.
- Graham, David E., 'Plant Genetics to Grow Here: Swiss Company Announces $600 Million Biotech Lab,' San Diego Union-Tribune, July 22, 1998.
- Hall, William, 'Sandoz and Ciba to Sell Part of U.S. Business,' Financial Times (London), August 29, 1996.
- Hunter, David, 'Ciba-Geigy: Back to the Roots for Renewed Growth,' Chemical Week, June 21, 1989, p. 21.
- Kirschner, Elisabeth, 'Ciba-Geigy and New Jersey Settle Toms River Battle,' Chemical Week, March 11, 1992, p. 14.
- Lichtenstein, William, 'The Toms River Experience,' Chemical Engineering, April 1991, p. 45.
- McCarthy, Joseph L., 'Alex Kraurer: Ciba-Geigy,' Chief Executive, July/August 1992, p. 20.
- Michaels, Adrian, 'Novartis Hopes New Drugs Will Boost US Sales,' Financial Times (London), February 15, 2001.
- Morris, Gregory D., 'Ciba-Geigy Enters the $1.5 Billion/Year Corn Biotech Race,' Chemical Week, September 12, 1990, p. 12.
- Shon, Melissa, 'Nicotine Patch Market Takes a Fall, But Why?,' Chemical Marketing Reporter, September 14, 1992, p. 5.
- Wilsher, Peter, 'The Feeling Grows That Going Green Is Good for Business,' Management Today, October 1991, p. 27.
Source: International Directory of Company Histories, Vol. 39. St. James Press, 2001.